Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Heading to VMworld

So, at the end of August, I will be making the annual pilgrimage to VMworld. This will be my seventh VMworld, I have been fortunate enough to be able to attend ALL VMworlds (including Europe (though not the Technology Exchanges before VMworld Europe)), and am really looking forward to attending this year’s.

This being my first VMworld where I am not a VMware Employee, it will be interesting to look at it from an outsider’s eyes. I have really enjoyed the previous iterations as they have been industry events, but being a VMware Employee, everything revolved around our platform. Now, it will be different.

This year, I will be attending the sessions, and while attending, I will be blogging and twittering about what I see/hear, giving my opinions and Point of View. Here is my schedule, below. Take a look, and if you have any questions on what I am attending (if you can’t attend and you want me to try to find the answer for you), let me know and I will do my best. Also, I am excited about going to a few of these, and discussing how VMware’s Solutions compare with ours here at Microsoft.

Starting it off with Tier 1 App support, that is a topic NEAR and DEAR to my heart. I wholeheartedly believe that you can virtualize Tier 1 apps and have GREAT success. What are your thoughts on that?

DRS is a great solution for handling the dynamic changes in workloads. VMM 2008 R2 with Hyper-V has PRO Tips and Management Packs that, coupled with Live Migration, do something similar. I would like to see how they compare. In fact that is definitely a topic for a different post (Post-VMworld).

The Head to Head to Head comparison session will be interesting, I wonder which version of Hyper-V and VMM they are comparing against. I expect to tweet a lot during that one.

Please comment and let me know your thoughts, and what sessions you are looking forward to.

 

Tuesday

10:00 AM-11:00 AM

EA3605

Virtualizing Tier 1 Applications: The Value of the vSphere Internal Cloud as a Better Platform for Apps

11:30 AM-12:30 PM

TA1670

Overview of VMware vSphere

1:30 PM-2:30 PM

TA3438

Top 10 Performance Features of VMware vSphere 4

3:00 PM-4:00 PM

TA2713

Safe At Any Speed with VMware DRS & DPM

4:00 PM-5:00 PM

SS5082

Cisco and VMware: Delivering Innovation for Virtualization

5:30 PM-7:00 PM

TA2544

A Comprehensive Look at the Security and Compliance of vSphere 4

Wednesday

9:30 AM-11:00 AM

EA2631

Virtualizing Exchange 2007 on vSphere 4 – Technical Considerations and Customer Success Story

11:30 AM-1:00 PM

BW4740

vSphere – Evangelizing the Value Proposition

1:00 PM-2:00 PM
(Waiting List)

TA3901

Security and the Cloud

2:00 PM-3:30 PM

TA3880

Head-To-Head Comparison: VMware vSphere and ESX vs. Hyper-V and XenServer

4:30 PM-5:30 PM

TA3105

Long Distance VMotion

Thursday

9:30 AM-11:30 AM

LAB11

VMware vCenter Chargeback

11:30 AM-12:30 PM

TA4341

Virtual Network Performance

1:00 PM-2:00 PM
(Waiting List)

VM2408

Tech Preview: VMware vCenter ConfigControl

2:30 PM-3:30 PM

EA3241

Beyond Infrastructure as a Service: Developer and Runtime Services with VMware and our Partners

4:00 PM-5:30 PM

TA2525

VMware vSphere 4 Networking Deep Dive

No comments: